Monday, February 23, 2009

Top 10 U.S. Cities I Wouldn't Mind Calling Home



I am one of those people who used to hate where they lived, simply because I wanted more out of life than what my current home was giving me. I have learned through several changes of location over the years that no matter where you live, somewhere else is always going to seem more appealing. Here is a list of ten places I would not mind calling "home" for a couple months or... the rest of my life.

1. Mesa, Arizona



For those who know me, this is a given. I have wanted to be in the southwest desert for about 10 years now. This is where I would like to make my permanent home...as soon as possible please.

2. Los Angeles, California



I've been to L.A. three separate times and I love the city, just not all the baggage that comes with it.

3. New York City, New York



The last great U.S. city I have yet to visit. Despite the fact that I've never been, I already know that I wouldn't mind spending a few months here to experience it. (Disclaimer: I would likely be eaten alive)

4. Honolulu, Hawaii



Why not? Visiting Hawaii is one thing...but, could you imagine actually calling it home?

5. Portland, Oregon



Everything I know about Portland screams my name. The music, the culture, the heroin...wait, scratch the heroin. Portland strikes me as a city that could teach me a lot in a short amount of time.

6. Austin, Texas



If for no other reason than to live in the city that hosts the annual South by Southwest (SXSW) music festival. I've heard great things about the music, film and art culture in Austin.

7. Billings, Montana



Billings seems like it would be a great place to get away from everything and write a novel or solve a rubik's cube.

8. Washington, D.C.



I guess D.C. is kind of the "dark horse" of my list. I went to D.C. on an 8th grade field trip and really enjoyed the immense history of the city. Dismemberment Plan and Dave Chappelle called this place home at one time or another, seems like a good place to be for a temporary amount of time.

9. Provo, Utah



Provo is kind of my agoraphobic dream. If I really wanted to get lost inside myself, this seems like the best option in which to complete that goal.

10. Seattle, Washington



Despite the fact that Seattle has been hit with the "wettest city" in the United States title (which is actually not true, it isn't even in the top 10 wettest cities!) I would still give it a chance for the culture, the music scene and the seafood.

Suggested Listening:

Simply Red - "Home (Reprise)"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No Cincinnati? That hurts a little...never choose Seattle or Cincy