Wednesday, February 25, 2009

5 Artists I Would Like to See Live (If I Had a Time Machine) Vol. 3



The artists listed are either:

A) dead
B) still alive but I have no desire to see them now
C) the band is no longer performing together
D) some/all of the above

1. Bob Dylan, 1966/1975





Dylan went electric in 1966 and pissed off the entire United Kingdom. Dylan starting painting his face white in 1975...and he kind of went off the deep end around the same time (likely not a coincidence). I like the idea of seeing him in 1966 for the purpose of witnessing that monumental shift in the evolution of music. I like the idea of Bob Dylan live in 1975 because this was the point in time where "Blood on the Tracks" came out and he found himself in a whole other realm of creativity.

Song I would most like to see performed live: "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

2. Joy Division, 1980



The true pioneers of the post-punk movement were at the top of the world in 1980, before it all came crumbling down. On May, 18th of that year, the enigmatic lead singer Ian Curtis hanged himself on the eve of the band heading to the United States for their first U.S. tour. Joy Division shows hold legendary status in the eyes of many, not only for the fact that the life of Curtis was so short but, more so because they were such a great band. I would certainly jump at the chance to see one of their final performances, knowing the light was about to be shut out forever.

Song I would most want to see performed live: "Love Will Tear Us Apart"/"Atmosphere"

3. Talking Heads, 1984



Maybe the most original band in the history of "bands" as we know them. The whole Talking Heads at CBGB's would be great and all, but...who would really pass up the chance to see them on the 'Stop Making Sense' tour?! Looking back now, everyone knows that the Talkings Heads stuck around for another two years before splitting up...but, this period was certainly the crest of the wave.

Song I would most want to see performed live: "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)"

4. Waylon Jennings, 1979



Give me a genie in a bottle and this would probably be one of my three wishes. Waylon holds a huge place in my heart and I cannot imagine how amazing this would have been. Waylon had it on lock in 1979. Album after album, his star power continued to grow (as did his cocaine addiction). Not only would I love to see him perform about a 4 hour show, but I'd also like to nab a genuine Waylon t-shirt.

Song I would most want to see performed live: "Memories of You and I"

5. The Who, 1973



Admittedly, I am not a huge Who guy. I like them, I just don't love them as much as many other people do...but, I know a good thing when I see one. The Who are famous for playing really LOUD and tearing up shit. I know that I would certainly skip the Cincinnati show in 1979 where eleven people were trampled to death, but I would have loved to have had the chance to see them on the "Quadrophenia" tour.

Song I would most want to see performed live: "Love Reign O'er Me"

No comments: