Monday, May 4, 2009

My Top 10 Favorite Nintendo Games...



(in order)

1. Super Mario Bros.



You just can't argue with Super Mario Bros. being the number 1 stunna.

2. Double Dragon II: The Revenge



I cannot tell you how many saturdays I spent playing DD2. If I am remembering correctly, Pizza Hut had this in arcade form, which helped pass precious time during my 10-15 minute wait on my 'Book It!' personal pan pizza.

3. Excitebike



"Over-heat! over-heat!". Years later I am left asking the same question: why in the hell did it take so long to run back to the dirtbike after you wrecked? Was it the short, stubby digital legs?

4. Kung Fu



"Leg sweep! Leg Sweep!" (shhooo shhooo)

5. Skate or Die!



I spent a total of 29 hours playing this over the course of 4 days in the basement of my grandmother's home in Hillsdale, Michigan. My life was never the same after that. 'Skate or Die 2' was awful by the way.

6. WWF Wrestlemania Challenge



Hogan was unstoppable. Years later I now understand that it was because Nintendo programmed him to be. Back then I just figured that Hogan was really that great.

7. Super Mario Bros. 2



Just when you were beginning to grow tired of 'Super Mario Bros.' Nintendo went ahead and dropped the sequel. Remember how it was really foreign and weird at first and you weren't sure you were ready to break off your long-term relationship with 'Super Mario Bros.' ?

8. Major League Baseball



"What are you doing?" - my mother

"Getting ready to play baseball" - me

"But...it's raining" - my mother

"Yeah...I know" - me

9. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!



Christmas morning, 1990...my phone rings:

"Dude...I got the Powerglove" - Eric Hoffman

"whhaaaa?! (phone left hanging as I ran out the door)"

The only reason this game isn't higher on the list is that I was not very good at it, therefore it was not as much fun as it could have been.

10. Hogan's Alley



I really don't know why I loved 'Hogan's Alley' as much as I did. I had no problem dropping 10 tokens on a few rounds of "kill the bad guy but try not to accidentally shoot the lady holding the baby"

Honorable mention:

Contra
Duck Hunt
Paperboy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Arch Rivals
Top Gun
Tecmo Super Bowl
RBI Baseball
Track & Field II
Bases Loaded II: Second Season

No comments: