Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My All-Time Top 10 Favorite Wrestlers...



(in order)

1. The Ultimate Warrior



The greatest of all time. Despite many urban legends, there was only one Ultimate Warrior. Real name, Jim Hellwig (legally changed to "Warrior") from Crawfordsville, Indiana of all places. The Ultimate Warrior was the greatest thing I had ever seen in my young life when I first saw him beat Honky Tonk Man in 31 seconds for the Intercontinetal Title. From the entrance music to the face paint to the shaking of the ropes to the fringe to the snarl, it was all good with Warrior. Ultimate Warrior won the greatest match of all time versus Hogan back in 1990. That's right, title for title. The rest is history.

2. Sting



Sting was like the other Ultimate Warrior. My utopian dream was that Sting and Ultimate Warrior would form a tag team that would dominate for the next decade. You can imagine my surprise when I found out that they already formed a tag team years ago called "The Blade Runners". This was before their careers in WWF and WCW. Sting didn't switch sides to WWF until late in his career...what a shame.

3. Demolition



Ax and Smash are hands down my favorite tag team of all time. Just look at them. I actually feared for those who faced them in the squared circle. Very few tag teams looked as good as they did wearing the titles. I still don't understand "Crush" coming in to be the third man in a tag team? Last time I checked, a tag team meant two guys, not three.

4. The Rockers



Their clothes, their style and their energy were perfect for that time period. I got in trouble more than once for jumping on the couch after watching these guys and their high-flying act. I was certainly conflicted seeing the Rockers get cheated against Demolition in the tag team title match back in 1991. As we know, Shawn Michaels went on to big and better things after he threw Marty Janetty into that fake barber shop glass.

5. Legion of Doom/The Road Warriors*



Just look at them...how could you not love these two?

*Hawk is dead by the way.

6. Hulk Hogan



I said my prayers and ate my vitamins and respected the 24 inch pythons but even I am kind of surprised that Hogan dropped to number 6 when I made this list. I chalk it up to a decade of over-exposure and seeing that "big boot drop" just one too many times. It was kool to see Hogan be a bad guy when he went to WCW but by that time, it was a little too late.

7. Mr. Perfect*



Mr. Perfect was a real fucking asshole but he sure could wrestle, not to mention smack his gum out of mid-air...everytime. Mr. Perfect vs. Texas Tornado for the Intercontinetal Title at Summer Slam 1990 is still one of the best matches of all time.

*Mr. Perfect is dead by the way.

8. The "Macho Man" Randy Savage



Macho Man was great, almost hurts me to put him as low as number eight. I definitely loved Macho Man in the orange/star trunks era. He was high-flying and dropped a mean elbow from the top ropes. Once Randy Savage ditched Miss Elizabeth for "Scary" Sherry, I was over him.

*Miss Elizabeth is dead by the way.

9. Bret "The Hitman" Hart



I wasn't crazy about Bret Hart when he was a member of "The Hart Foundation" tag team, but when he became the Intercontintal champ as a result of laying the "sharp shooter" down on Mr. Perfect, I took notice. FYI: Bret Hart did NOT like The Mountie.

10. The Texas Tornado*



Otherwise known as Kerry Von Erich, the Texas Tornado racked up wins quick with that spinning, twister move he came up with. Much like Sting, I always secretly wished that Tornado would tag team up with Ultimate Warrior to become the new titled contenders.

*Texas Tornado is dead by the way.

Honorable Mention:

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake
Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
British Bulldog*
Koko B. Ware
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
2 Cold Scorpio
"Flyin" Brian Pillman*
The Steiner Brothers
Strike Force
Z-Man

*British Bulldog and Flyin' Brian Pillman are both dead by the way.

Suggested viewing:

Wrestlemania VI: "Title for Title"



this was hands down, the greatest match of all time.

Survivor Series 1990



Ultimate Warrior, Texas Tornado, Legion of Doom

vs.

Mr. Perfect & Demoltion w/ Crush

my second favorite match of all-time.

Royal Rumble 1991



This was the best Royal Rumble ever!

Summer Slam 1990



Warrior vs. Ravishing Rick Rude* in a steel cage!

*Ravishing Rick Rude is dead by the way.

1 comment:

Alexander Kelley said...

* Sting has never wrestled in the WWF or WWE

* Crush was added to demolition becuase Ax had an injury that required he take time off. I believe they were tag champs when he was injured so that was an easy way to fix the situation.