Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Top 10 Christmas Movies



Here is a list of my 10 favorite "Christmas-ish" movies:

(in order)

1. A Charlie Brown Christmas



This is the only thing that still gives me that echoing feeling of being a kid at Christmas time.

2. Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas



I will have none of that Jim Carrey, live action version that came out in 2000. The original is still a stunning piece of storytelling combined with imagery.

3. It's a Wonderful Life



Call me soft, call me what you will...this is one of the most heart-warming tales ever told. Minus the angel factor, this could be listed under sci-fi if you really think about it. I still cry each time.

4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation



It's one of those that it doesn't matter how many times you see it, it is still funny when you see it again. "Every time Catherine would turn on the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour" - Cousin Eddie.

5. Edward Scissorhands



While not widely considered a "Christmas" movie, I consider it one. Edward made it snow and as we learn in the beginning...it had never snowed until "he came down here".

6. Home Alone



I went on my first "date" to see this. As a 10 year-old at the time of its release, this wasn't entertainment, this was a blueprint for how to handle abandonment. A modern Christmas classic. John Hughes was/is a genius.

7. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York



Kevin McCallister lost in the big apple, why not? It worked for the producers, despite the extremely low possibility that they would actually lose track of this kid again somehow.

8. Frosty the Snowman



This is another one of those warm and cuddly kid feelings. When 'Frosty' came on, you knew that for the next 30 minutes, your life was going to be filled with joy and hope. Professor Hinkle, that damn magician, didn't have to lock Frosty in the greenhouse with the poinsettias did he? Asshole.

9. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer



I think the only reason I like this one as much as I do: I knew that it was only a matter of time before I would be unwrapping my presents. So essentially, this was my indicator that Santa would be in the vicinity sooner than later.

10. Scrooged



I had seen and heard so many versions of 'A Christmas Carol' that by the time "Scrooged" came out, I was already jaded at 8 years old. Needless to say, this version was welcome in my world. I remember watching this and my mom coming in the room, looking at the t.v. and asking me..."what in the hell are you watching?"

*Note: I did not forget to list 'A Christmas Story', it simply would not ever make my list. I am not saying it is a bad movie, I'm just saying I don't seem to love as much as everyone else does (or seems to think they do).

No comments: