Monday, November 17, 2008

Artists on my "Must See Live" list

I was lucky enough to see Radiohead over the summer on their "In Rainbows" tour. It was easily one of the best concert experiences I have ever had (or will have for that matter). I saw Wolf Parade last week after a three year wait and well...it was worth the wait! Given that Radiohead and Wolf Parade were #1 and # 2 atop my "must see live" list, that list has obviously changed:

1. Arcade Fire



Arcade Fire has to be at the top. The U2 of the decade. I missed them in Chicago last year, will not pass them up again.

song that I would most want to hear live: "My Body is a Cage"

2. The Beastie Boys

beastie boys Pictures, Images and Photos

This just goes without saying. The Beastie Boys have been at it for twenty two years now. I missed them a month ago in Dayton, OH. They were playing an Obama benefit at Hara Arena. I passed it up and I may live to regret it.

song that I would most want to hear live: "Pass the Mic"

3. Sufjan Stevens



Another one from the files of "I had a chance to see them live". Indianpolis, 2006 and I passed it up. Sufjan was on the "Come on feel the Illinoise" tour (complete with butterfly wings) and I can only hope to redeem myself for making that mistake.

song that I would most want to hear live: "Pittsfield"

4. Animal Collective



This one is especially difficult to swallow: free tickets to see Animal Collective @ Southgate House in Newport, KY in late 2005. I passed it up. That decision keeps me up at night. I wasn't into them at the time, only knew of them and knew they were weird with a capital 'W'. Three years later and I love them.

song that I would most want to hear live: "Unsolved Mysteries"

5. Hot Chip

Photobucket

One of the best new bands to appear in the last 5 years. Quirky, weird and extremely talented. I had hoped to see them this year in New York City, alas it did not happen.

song that I would most want to hear live: "So Glad to See You"

6. Damien Jurado

Photobucket

The reminder of mistakes parade on: April 19th, 2005. Damien Jurado @ Rhino's in Bloomington. I was already in Bloomington, why didn't I just stay an extra nite and shell out the $12? Who knows. I WILL see Damien Jurado live (despite the fact that I passed him up yet again back in October, $8 in Columbus, OH)

song that I would most want to hear live: "Tether"

7. Postal Service



I have never had the opportunity to see The Postal Service live, so no mistakes made there. If they ever put out another album (2009?) I will certainly beat a path to wherever they play.

song that I would most want to hear live: "District Sleeps Alone Tonight"

8. Magnolia Electric Co.

Photobucket

Opportunity wasted yet again. Mr. Molina and his Magnolia Electric Co. play Bloomington, IN at least once a year (if not twice) so I know my past decisions will not forever haunt me.

song that I would most want to hear live: "Leave the City"

9. Handsome Furs



They just played Columbus, OH last month for $8. I still dont understand why I didn't attend. New album in 2009 and a new chance to make a better decision.

song that I would most want to hear live: "Sing! Captain"

10. Kanye West

Photobucket

The one and only hip-hop performer on the list...for a reason: most hip-hop shows are either A) cancelled B) re-scheduled and then ultimately cancelled C) Suck. I think that Mr. West would be the exception. Kanye played in Cincinnati over the summer and I knew nothing of it. Given my previous record, I am sure I would have passed on it anyway and ultimately second guessed myself.

song that I would most want to hear live: "Everything I Am"

1 comment:

DirdieDeee said...

If any of these folks come to Columbus we should go together. My new place is in the short north area in Columbus OH ;]