Monday, June 8, 2009

Up Next on the Stage: Animal Collective...



Last November I listed Animal Collective at #4 on my "Top 10 artists I must see live" blog. Well... tonite I shall cross them off of that list. Animal Collective are playing at the State Theater here in St. Petersburgh, Florida. I first got into Animal Collective back in 2007 with the release of "Strawberry Jam" and now consider myself to be completely in love (read: infatuated) with the band. I cannot remember the last time I was this excited to see a band perform live, needless to say...Animal Collective is not just some band I am going to see on a monday nite.

Background:

Animal Collective is a musical collective originally from Baltimore, Maryland, currently based in New York City. Animal Collective consists of Avey Tare (David Portner), Panda Bear (Noah Lennox), Deakin, or Deacon as spelled on Strawberry Jam (Josh Dibb), and Geologist (Brian Weitz). Records released under the name Animal Collective may include contributions from any or all of these members; the lineup is not uniform. The band members met in school and started recording together in various forms of collaboration from a young age. Although the band is often classified as freak folk or noise-pop, it is hard to define the Animal Collective sound as they often experiment with diverse styles and ideas from album to album.

The songs I most want to see performed later:

In the Flowers
Unsolved Mysteries
What Would I Want Sky
Chocolate Girl
Daily Routine
Guy's Eyes
Fireworks
No More Runnin'
Winter's Love (Redux Version)
Street Flash
Also Frightened
My Girls
Summertime Clothes
#1
Bluish
Loch Raven

Suggested listening:

"Here Comes The Indian" (2003)



"Sung Tongs" (2004)



"Feels" (2005)



"Strawberry Jam" (2007)



"Water Curses EP" (2008)



"Merriweather Post Pavilion" (2009)

No comments: